For one last time, cooking coach Adam Wisnewski helped us gain some confidence in the kitchen. Check out his mom’s lasagna recipe in this segment.
This is the recipe my mom has been using for decades. There has been more than one fight over the last piece of this classic dish, so make lots! It’s also a staple with my meal service clients, where I call it “Mama’s Lasagna”.
Follow Breakfast Life and Dinner on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
* 1 lb sausage (mild)
* 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
* 1 TBS basil
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 1 lb can crushed tomatoes
* 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
* 10 oz lasagna noodles
* 2 cups ricotta cheese
* 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
* 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, more for topping
* 2 TBS parsley flakes
* 2 beaten eggs
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp pepper
Brown sausage slowly, drain off fat. Add remaining sauce ingredients, simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
* Meanwhile, heat water to cook noodles in a large pasta pot. Cook noodles as directed. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
* Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the cheese mix in a large mixing bowl
* Preheat oven to 375F
Put 1/2 noodles in 13×9 baking dish, spread with 1/2 the cheese mix and then 1/2 the meat sauce. Repeat the layers. Sprinkle with more Parmesan* Bake at 375F
for 30 minutes, let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Can be made ahead of time, and stored in fridge. When ready, remove from fridge, let stand at room temperature 15 minutes, then cook an additional 15 minutes.