Cooking coach Adam Wisnewski was helping us gain some confidence in the kitchen this morning. Find out how to make crab-stuffed vegetables in today’s segment.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
These little beauties are always a hit for appetizers or for a meal. If someone tells you they don’t like mushrooms, then they haven’t tried this recipe!
* 12-15 large white mushrooms
* 4 TBS butter, divided (1/2 stick)
* 1 TBS olive oil
* 1/4 C finely chopped onions
* 1 C shredded zucchini
* 1 TBS minced garlic
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1⁄8 tsp black pepper
* 1⁄8 tsp red pepper flakes
* 1 tsp dry mustard
* 1/2 C shredded parmesan cheese
* 1/4 C breadcrumbs
* 1 tsp parsley, chopped
* 2 TBS mayonnaise
* 1 egg, beaten
* 8 oz flaked crab meat
You can prep these ahead and put them in the fridge. Add 10 min to baking time if using a refrigerated version.
* Spray a baking sheet or pan with cooking spray.
* Clean and dry mushrooms, remove stems and reserve, set aside mushroom caps
* Mince mushroom stems
* Heat oil and 2 TBS butter in a pan, add minced mushroom stems, cook for 10 min on low heat, stirring occasionally.
* Add onions and zucchini, cook 10 more min, stirring occasionally
* Add minced garlic and spices, cook 2 min or until fragrant
* Remove mushroom mix to large mixing bowl, add parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, mayo, and mix well
* Add egg and crab meat to mixture, mix well
* Preheat oven to 400F
* Melt 2 TBS and toss mushroom caps in melted butter. Line up mushroom caps on baking sheet
* Fill mushroom caps equally with mushroom mix
* Bake 20-25 minutes.
TRY: Use 4 portobello mushroom caps, 2 bell peppers in halves or 3-4 zucchini squash cut into “boats”. Substitute sausage or white beans for the crab meat. Bake mushrooms for 20 min, then add a cube of cheese to the top of each cap and broll for 3-4 minutes to melt the cheese.