Cooking Coach Adam Wisnewski helped us gain some confidence in the kitchen today. Watch to learn a few different ways to make biscuits.
Biscuits in the morning with eggs and sausage gravy, for lunch
with roasted chicken or for dessert with a bit of jam.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
2 TBS baking powder
1 TSP salt
8 TBS (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 TBS honey
1 cup buttermilk (use 1 cup of whole milk and 1 TBS lemon juice – let sit 5 minutes)
2 TBS butter, melted for brushing
* Use cold buttermilk and cold flour, if you can
* Don’t twist the cutter, use one downward motion (Twisting can
seal the edges of the biscuits)
* Preheat oven to 450 F
Grease a baking sheet
Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
Use your hands to thoroughly combine the butter and flour mixture until it feels like a coarse meal.
Add the milk and honey, stirring gently, until just combined
On a floured surface, gently press dough into a rectangle, brush surface with melted butter, fold over the outer thirds, turn and repeat 2 more times
Gently roll dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut about 12 biscuits, rerolling any scraps.
* Place on the baking sheet. Argue with someone about whether the biscuits
should touch or not
* Brush biscuit tops with melted butter
* Bake the biscuits for 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
* Serve warm, serve often.