As temperatures start to rise, you might spend some more time outside. Which means, you’ll need to know about proper sun safety. Dr. Priyank Patel from Carle joins us today to talk about the issue.
Who is most at risk?
* those who work outside
* kids and families swimming
* construction workers
* gardening enthusiasts
What should they do to protect themselves?
* SPF of 50 or higher
* Check expiration date
* Reapply at least every two hours
* Reapply after swimming, sweating
What types of cancers can develop?
What do people need to watch for and then talk with their doctor about sooner rather than later?
* Asymmetry: Odd-shaped moles
* Border: Uneven borders
* Color: A variety of colors
* Diameter: Larger than pencil eraser
* Evolving: Change in size, shape or color
What should people know today about why sunscreen is so important?
Where can you learn more?
Playing it Safe
Saturday, May 20
9:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Leonhard Recreational Center & Centennial Park