You can make homemade pizza bites using a piece of kitchen equipment you’d never think to use – an ice cube tray – and it’s easy as pie!
* Cooking spray
* 2 crescent roll dough sheets (two 8-ounce tubes)
* 14 slices pepperoni, chopped (1 ounce)
* ¼ cup marinara or pizza sauce
* ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
* Melted butter, garlic powder, and oregano
* Marinara sauce or ranch for dipping
* Ice cube tray
* Kitchen shears
* Pizza cutter
* Baking sheet
1. Prepare ice cube tray with nonstick cooking spray (this will help the dough come out easier). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Drape one sheet of crescent dough over the ice cube tray, using your knuckles to gently push the dough down into each well. Be careful not to tear the dough!
3. Divide the pepperoni pieces evenly among the ice cube wells. Do the same for the marinara sauce (about 1 teaspoon per well) and mozzarella (about 2 teaspoons per well).
4. Drape the second sheet of dough over the top of the tray. Use a rolling pin to seal the edges as much as possible.
5. Using kitchen shears or a very sharp knife, trim the excess dough from around the edges. You can save this to make more pizza bites or use in another recipe.
6. Flip the ice cube tray over onto a cutting board and gently loosen the filled dough cubes so that they come out cleanly. Use your finger to pat down the edges between the filled dough cubes to make it easier to cut.
7. Use a pizza cutter to cut through the edges and create individual cubes.
8. Carefully transfer the individual cubes to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
9. If desired, brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic and oregano. Serve with marinara sauce or ranch for dipping.
* Balance out the pizza bites (higher in fat and calories) with a generous portion of mixed green salad for fiber, vitamins, and minerals! Be sure to drink plenty of water, too, as the pizza bites are high in sodium.
* These are fun to make with kids!
* Try other variations like chicken fajita, cheeseburger, or ham and cheese