DR. CHOKKALINGAM: How serious is heart disease, especially in women?
· Number 1 killer
· Kills one in four women
· One woman per minute dies
· Affects women of all kinds
· Work to get odds in our favor
DR. WIARDA: How can perimenopause and/or menopause affect a woman’s heart health?
· Estrogen helps blood vessels
o Smoother lining
o Greater elasticity
· As we age, estrogen decreases
· Blood flow through body changes
· Increases risk of heart and stroke
DR. CHOKKALINGAM: How do women know if what they’re experiencing is a normal part of the menopause continuum or a serious heart risk?
· Sweating, hot flashes
· Lack of energy
· Trouble sleeping
· Weight gain
· Chest pain less common in women
· PCP order tests, help distinguish difference
DR. WIARDA: What changes can women make today to do more to protect their hearts?
· The sooner the better
· Understand and manage
o Cholesterol levels
o Blood pressure
· Regular doctor visits
· Watch what eat and drink
· Get regular exercise that works the heart
· Stop smoking