Leia Flure, Registered Dietician joins us for Healthy Living.
5 Surprising Ways to Boost Your Immune System
1. Eat healthy foods!
* Fruits and vegetables provide vitamins and minerals to help us fight infections
* Good bacteria in yogurt can out-compete the bad bacteria for space in the digestive system
2. Stay active
* Exercise strengthens the immune system
* Find any way you can to stay active during the colder months!
3. Get enough sleep
* We’re learning more and more about how important sleep is for health. Your body needs the downtime to fight off illnesses and heal damage to your cells. Aim for 7-8 hours every night.
4. Take care of your emotional needs – Stress wears you down emotionally and physically. Take time to relax and relieve stress.
5. Don’t rely on supplements
* Even if you feel a cold coming on, there isn’t a lot of scientific support for megadoses of vitamin C and zinc. Save your money!
Of course, don’t forget to wash your hands often!