What are the benefits of giving back?
* Health Benefits
o Lowers blood pressure
o Lower risk of dementia
o Helps to manage chronic pain
o Generosity is linked to longer life expectancy
* Mental Health Benefits
o Lowers risk of anxiety and depression, as well as dementia
o Reduces anxiety in the moment
o Giving activates the brain’s “reward system” and releases dopamine, endorphins, and oxytocin
* Social Benefits
o Improves the lives and well-being of others
o Strengthens communities
o Can prompt others to give back (“pay it forward”)
o Can lead to new relationships and connections
We all know that donating money is one way to give. But what are some other ways?
* Donate time: there are several organizations that need volunteers, such as animal shelters, hospitals, homeless shelters, nursing homes, hospice care, mentoring programs, and libraries
* Donate your skills, such as financial planning for low income families, or using a medical background to volunteer in a clinic for uninsured patients
* Donate items you no longer use, such as clothing, furniture, household items, children’s toys, or books
* Donate blood, especially if you have a rare or universal blood type
What are some ways that those who are short on time can give back?
* Find ways to work generosity and giving into activities that you are already doing, such as organizing a fundraiser or charity drive at your job
* Talk to your employer about creating an employer gift-matching program, where your employer can match contributions you and other employees make to charity
* If you attend a church or other community organization regularly, this is a great space to organize others to work on charity projects together
* Many credit card companies offer charity-focused cards, which give back set amounts to charities of your choice, in lieu of rewards
If someone wants to get in contact with you, how can they do it?
* We can be found at our website, tworoadswellnessclinic.com, or also on Facebook under Two Roads Wellness Clinic