Ashley Quinlan, Health Coach & Manager at Christie Clinic Transformations Medical Weight Loss, joins the Morning Show and in this week’s Food Facts she is making Pumpkin Patch Peppers.
Healthy vs Unhealthy
· Orange bell peppers are a good source of Vitamin C and are a great low glycemic vegetable.
· Rice & beans are a good source of fiber and are considered complex carbohydrates.
· Vegetarians could substitute in some tofu for the meat or just use rice/beans, and add in another veggie like additional tomatoes or even mushrooms.
· Low carb version could omit rice and beans and just use meat and veggies.
· Healthy taco seasoning is used in this recipe. Sodium content is kept down, as well as any added sugar or anti caking ingredients used.
Stuffed orange peppers cut to look like jack-o’-lanterns
I will show how easy it is to cut a pepper like a jack o’lantern.
I will have the stuffing ready and just converse about the ingredients needed to make the stuffing.
Host can help me stuff the peppers and sprinkle on the cheese.
Makes 4 stuffed peppers Prep Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
1-2 tsp. olive oil
Approximately 4 orange bell peppers (draw jack o’lantern cut outs for Halloween)
½ cup diced onion
1 lb. ground turkey or meat of choice
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
¾ cup cooked rice (could also do quinoa or cauliflower rice)
Shredded taco cheese (or whatever of your choice)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Saute onion in oil of choice until translucent. Add meat and brown.
While the meat is cooking use a pot of water to boil the peppers for about 5 minutes each. This will soften them prior to cooking them “stuffed.” After about 5 minutes take them out to cool.
Add Taco Seasoning Recipe in to your ground meat. Adding 1/3 cup of water helps with moisture. After meat is cooked through, add tomatoes, rice and beans and stir.
Optional at this point to add cheese.
Scoop out meat/rice/bean mixture and add to peppers.
Bake for an additional 20 or until peppers are done to your liking at 375.
Serve with a romaine side salad. Adding more veggies to the salad would be welcome.
Optional: Home-made taco seasoning (I usually double or triple this recipe)
2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. garlic salt or powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne
(or try adding your own garlic for more flavor).
Sprinkle onto ground turkey or extra lean ground beef.
Add 1/3 – 1/2 cup of water. Add salt to taste.