This is a lovely twist on a classic meatloaf. Optional: exclude the bacon strips and barbecue sauce, but these will definitely add to the flavor of the meatloaf. I’m using this particular type of barbecue sauce because it is lower sugar and no high fructose corn syrup.
HEALTHY VS UNHEALTHY
What are the healthy ingredients used in this recipe?
* lean ground turkey – good source of protein
* zucchini – low glycemic vegetables, low in calories, high in nutrients
* red pepper – rich in vitamins, especially vitamin C
You save about 100 calories, 10 g. of fat and approximately 3 carbs per serving of meatloaf. Using ground turkey and avoiding using ketchup and condensed soup allow this recipe to be a more healthy choice.
Mini Turkey Meatloaves
3/4 cup grated zucchini, all moisture squeezed dry with paper towel
2 tbsp onion, minced
2 tbsp diced red pepper
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (you can use gluten-free crumbs too) 1/4 cup Stubb’s Barbecue Sauce
1 large egg
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
1.3 lb raw 93% lean ground turkey
5 slices center cut bacon, cut in half 2 1/2 tbsp Stubb’s Barbecue Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly spray the petite loaf panwith cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix the zucchini, onion, red pepper, breadcrumbs, BBQ sauce, egg, paprika and salt. Add the turkey and combine until mixed through.
3. Create 5 equal loafs and place them into the loaf pan. Place the 2 bacon halves over each loaf and top each with 1/2 tbsp additional BBQ sauce.
4. Bake about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1 loaf
* Amount Per Serving, Calories: 259 calories, Total Fat: 10g, Sodium: 940mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 7.5g, Protein: 25g