Ashley Quinlan cooked up some healthy “low carb” lasagna for us in Tuesday’s Food Facts.
“Low Carb” Lasagna
BACKGROUND (Used to create an introduction)
Who doesn’t love Italian food? Lasagna and pizza, yum yum!
I have a wonderful recipe that provides a delicious dose of Italian food and really conquers the cravings for it, but avoids the heavy carbs! This recipe is warm and hearty and is a great healthy recipe to replace carb laden REAL lasagna using real lasagna noodles.
The sausage seasoning recipe also makes this dish healthy b/c it naturally seasons the meat without any preservatives or fillers than many sausages include. You can make it in bulk and add it to any ground meat.
HEALTHY VS UNHEALTHY
* What are the healthy ingredients used in this recipe?
o Zucchini – low glycemic vegetable, also low in calories, high in nutrients
o Tomatoes – good source of potassium and Vitamin C
o Ground Meat – good source of protein & gives this meal substance
o Eggs – good source of protein & nutrients
o Cheese (optional) – good source of calcium & protein/fat & adds flavor/creaminess to the dish
o Reference using NO SUGAR ADDED tomato sauce in a jar instead of making your own sauce, as this can save you a lot of time.
* Can you make any substitutions?
o Yes, eggplant can be used instead of zucchini.
o You could also be versatile with the meat you use – venison, pork, turkey, chicken or even a chicken sausage could be used.
* Anything special to note about this recipe?
o This is an Ideal Protein / Transformations protocol recipe. It is unique b/c it uses egg to assist in the “no dairy” rule on program. As I state here you can add cheese if you do consume dairy in your diet. But a healthy calorie saver would be to only sprinkle cheese in one layer, either in the middle or on the top.
You can “half” this recipe in the case you aren’t a big leftover person. Or if you’re dieting in order to eat less!
HOST INTERACTION & DISPLAY
* Ashley will bring all ingredients needed to make this recipe. We will assemble on set and discuss the ingredients, substitutions and possible additions.
* Ashley’s goal will be to have one lasagna already made so that viewers can see the finished product.
SAUSAGE ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
16 oz. lean ground pork, beef, turkey, chicken or venison
Sausage Seasoning Recipe (see below)
4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
Salt for zucchini
20 oz. diced tomatoes & chilis (optional to use with chilis), Undrained
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. Italian Seasoning
2/3 cup liquid egg whites (or 4 egg whites)
1 bag of Mozzarella Cheese, optional & use to taste
Pinch & a half cayenne pepper, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler slice zucchini in strips or slices. Place them in a large colander in the sink. Sprinkle with salt lightly and cover most of zucchini. Let rest while preparing remaining recipe. (This will take the moisture out of the zucchini so the lasagna won’t be watery).
3. In a large frying pan, brown lean ground meat & season with Sausage Seasoning. Drain any fat and set aside.
4. Place the diced tomatoes and chilis, garlic powder, Italian seasoning & cayenne pepper in a blender; blend well. Set aside.
5. In a medium bowl, lightly beat together egg and egg whites. Set aside.
6. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
7. Remove zucchini strips from colander and blot with paper towels.
8. Layer about half of the zucchini strips covering the bottom of the casserole dish.
9. Layer half of the seasoned meat & then pour half of the tomato mixture evenly over the meat.
10. Pour half of the egg mixture evenly over the tomato mixture. Repeat these layers in order with remaining ingredients.
11. Sprinkle cheese over top and bake for 40-60 minutes.
Sausage Seasoning Recipe
3.5 tsp. paprika
1.5 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Add all ingredients together and store in airtight container.