Biscuits in the morning with eggs and sausage gravy, for lunch with roasted chicken or for dessert with a bit of jam.
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
* 2 TBS baking powder
* 1 TSP salt
* 8 TBS (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
* 1 TBS honey
* 1 cup buttermilk (use 1 cup of whole milk and 1 TBS lemon juice – let sit 5 minutes)
* 2 TBS butter, melted for brushing
* Use cold buttermilk and cold flour, if you can
* Don’t twist the cutter, use one downward motion (Twisting can seal the edges of the biscuits)
* Preheat oven to 450 F
* Grease a baking sheet
* Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
* Use your hands to thoroughly combine the butter and flour mixture until it feels like a coarse meal.
* Add the milk and honey, stirring gently, until just combined
* On a floured surface, gently press dough into a rectangle, brush surface with melted butter, fold over the outer thirds, turn and repeat 2 more times
* Gently roll dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut about 12 biscuits, rerolling any scraps.
* Place on the baking sheet. Argue with someone about whether the biscuits should touch or not
* Brush biscuit tops with melted butter
* Bake the biscuits for 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. * Serve warm, serve often.