Woman’s house destroyed in fire

News

MATTOON — This woman’s home caught fire while she was watching her neighbor’s four children. 

Everyone got out safely, but the house is destroyed. Firefighters say a candle is to blame. 

“Every Sunday the kids walk down there before i go to work at 9 this was no different morning.”
 
But things quickly took a turn for the worse as this Mattoon home went up in flames.
 
“The neighbor said, Lenzi Kathy’s house is on fire you need to get home now. All I knew was my kids, Kathy, and these animals were in this house.”
 
Kathy Daubs was watching her neighbor Lenzi Sewell’s four children at the time. That’s when firefighters say a candle in Daubs bedroom started the fire.
 
“This big of a ball of fire, to blowing out the bedroom door.”
 
It burned for the next three hours. Leaving very little behind for Daubs to sort through.
 
“Her phone was burnt, her purse was burnt, everything she owned you know memories.”
 
A wall of her home is missing. And there’s not much left of the inside.
 
“Oh no can’t live in my home, there’s nothing there.”
 
Daubs is staying with Sewell for the time being. And others have already stepped in to help.
 
“I’ve got offers of an apartment, I’ve got an offer of a duplex,
 
She says it’s devastating to lose everything. But she’s trying her best to stay positive.
 
And be thankful for what she has left.
 
“I used to be negative and sitting there crying and being negative isn’t going to fix it.”
 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2020 Golf Extravaganza

Don't Miss

Fill out my online form.