Homeless man taken to the hospital after shed fire

News

DECATUR, Ill. (WCIA) — A homeless man was taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation Monday morning after a shed fire.

Firefighters say it happened around 5:45 near East Condit and North Woodford Streets. The fire was out in five minutes.

Fire Inspector Mike Wigginton says the man was friends with the family that owned the shed. He was allowed to stay around the house during the day, but had to leave at night. The man ended up staying in the shed and lit a candle to stay warm.

Wigginton says the man’s clothes caught fire, but he was able to put it out. He then notified the family about the fire and they called the fire department.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.