SINAI PENINSULA (WCIA) — A Watseka native was one of five American soldiers killed in a helicopter crash in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula on Thursday.
The Army identified the soldiers Saturday as:
- Capt. Seth Vernon Vandekamp, 31, from Katy, Texas
- Chief Warrant Officer 3 Dallas Gearld Garza, 34, from Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Chief Warrant Officer 2 Marwan Sameh Ghabour, 27, from Marlborough, Massachusetts
- Staff Sgt. Kyle Robert McKee, 35, from Painesville, Ohio
- Sgt. Jeremy Cain Sherman, 23, from Watseka, Illinois
The crash happened during a peacekeeping mission. Seven peacekeepers, including the five Americans, were killed when one of the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters crashed. An eighth peacekeeper, who is also an American, was seriously hurt. The names of the French and Czech peacekeepers who were killed have not been released yet, pending notification of their families.
Sherman left behind a new bride and his family. He attended Watseka High School and his mother, Gwendolyn Childress, said he always looked out for others.
“He was with a group of guys in the army and they said he was always there for them, and willing to help a fellow soldier,” she said.