CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) — The University of Illinois Police Department says a student was not seriously hurt after a man tried to rob her Tuesday night.
A Campus Safety Notice posted online to UIPD’s website says it happened around 10 p.m. in the area of Wright and Clark streets. That’s across the street from the north Engineering Quad.
Investigators say a man approached the student as she was walking on the sidewalk, and then hit her on the back of the head. Police say the man tried to take her backpack.
“The suspect ran when a passing vehicle stopped to help, and the robbery attempt was unsuccessful,” says UIPD.
Officers say the suspect was last seen running west from Wright Street, adding the student was not seriously hurt in the attack.
UIPD says its coordinating with Champaign and Urbana police in investigating the robbery and are patrolling the area.
Detectives ask anyone with information about this incident to contact the UIPD at 217-333-1216. Witnesses may remain anonymous by calling Champaign County Crime Stoppers at 217-373-8477 (373-TIPS), by visiting www.373tips.com or by providing information through the P3 Tips mobile app available on iOS and Android. All messages to Crime Stoppers are electronically stripped of identifying information and forwarded to police by an independent third party.
UIPD is also providing the following safety tips for students:
- Stay together. Do not walk alone at night. Travel in groups and in well-lit areas. Call 217-333-1216 for a SafeWalks escort if you need one.
- Be alert. Maintaining awareness of your surroundings is critical, especially when traveling at night. Wearing headphones or looking at your phone diminishes your ability to respond to your surroundings. Walk with purpose, and stay attentive.
- Trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Call police if something looks odd — we’re happy to assist, and even the smallest bit of information could prevent another crime.
- Watch out for each other. Call 911 immediately if you or someone else is in danger. The University encourages students to take appropriate action to protect others’ safety by reducing students’ fear of legal or disciplinary consequences to the victim or themselves. For more information, please review the Medical Amnesty and Good Samaritan procedures.
- If you choose to consume alcohol, please be responsible. Remember your ability to respond is diminished by overconsumption of alcohol.