CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) — Police are reminding local businesses and delivery drivers of important safety tips due to increase in delivery robberies.
Investigators say since Nov. 1, 2018, Champaign Police have received nine reports of delivery robberies, mostly to pizza delivery drivers completing an order.
The suspects are believed to have only stolen food after verbally threatening physical harm to the driver.
Safety Reminders for Delivery Drivers:
- Limit cash on hand and in your vehicle. If needed, drop off unnecessary cash back at your place of business.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and note any suspicious activity, such as vehicles which may be following you, individuals loitering, or a house that appears dark and unoccupied upon arrival for delivery.
- If something does not feel right, take precaution and return to your business. Call the customer and confirm the details of the delivery.
- Do not be redirected to a different address or location after the original order is placed.
- Park as close as possible to the delivery location in a well-lit area.
If you have information on individuals carrying out crimes of this or similar nature, please contact police at 217-351-4545. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous may also submit tips to Crime Stoppers by phone at: 217-373-8477 (TIPS); online at 373tips.com; or the “P3 Tips” mobile app.