Crews work with new airport fire truck

Local News
airport fire truck_1550700582923.jpg.jpg

COLES COUNTY, Ill. (WCIA) — Firefighters at Memorial Airport are currently learning how to use their new fire truck.

It took about a year-and-a-half to finally get the new-and-improved truck. They had their old one for 25-years.

The new truck holds about 500 gallons of water, 60 gallons of foam and 500 pounds of chemicals to help put out fires if needed on planes or the runway.

It also has a camera inside the truck to capture heat and alerts crew when someone is in front of the truck as a safety feature.

The truck cost more than $355,000; 90% of which came from federal money, the other 10% locally. They hope it will last about 20-years.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.