Power restored in neighborhood after gas leak

Local News

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WCIA) — First responders said a natural gas leak led to the power being shut off for several people on Tuesday morning.

Springfield Fire Chief Allen Reyne said a large natural gas leak happened at 1200 East Pine Street at 10 a.m. He stated someone hit the line when digging in their front yard.

The block was evacuated. “Luckily, most people were not home,” said Reyne.

Reyne said the City, Water, Light and Power cut power in the area at the request of Ameren. It was to done to keep workers safe as they worked on the leak. Officials said it was restored at 12:45 p.m.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Golf Tour Extravaganza 2020