CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) — Heaters and furnaces keep us warm, but they can kill without proper upkeep.
If you haven’t turned your heat on yet, you probably will soon. Frost and freezing temperatures are in the forecast.
But, be careful when warming up. After months of inactivity, heating systems can be dangerous. Fire officials say they’ve already seen their first heating fire of the season.
It happened in an apartment Saturday morning when the vent pipe for a gas fireplace got disconnected. There were no injuries.
Authorities say it’s why heating equipment should be checked once a year. Officials recommend people call heating professionals to come check things out before it gets colder outside.
He says the worst is yet to come. The deputy fire marshal says you should also be careful with space heaters giving them about 3′ of clearing.
Other tips include checking batteries in smoke detectors about once a month, never using an oven as a source of heat, remember to turn off portable heaters when leaving a room or going to bed and make sure any fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks.