DANVILLE, Ill. (WCIA) — Firefighters are looking into what caused a Tuesday afternoon fire under a bridge Memorial Bridge at the intersection of Gilbert Road and Main Street.
Danville’s Mayor says it was caused by a propane tank that caught on fire underneath the bridge. A homeless man living down there was using it to keep warm.
First responders blocked of traffic on both sides of the bridge and were rerouting everyone. There was a strong smell of gas while first responders were working to put out the fire.
One woman heard it all happen from her backyard.
“I was down in my kitchen and I heard a loud boom. I went to my back door…to look over by the bridge to see an abundance of black smoke,” says Danville resident Linda Trinbel.
She says the homeless man has lived underneath the bridge for years, and saw officers arrest him after the incident.
The mayor also says IDOT has cleared the bridge to reopen. They say it is structurally safe now.
This is the ninth fire Danville firefighters have responded to since the start of the year.