Community comes to aid of fire victims

News

ALVIN — Thursday, a fire nearly destroyed a family’s home. To make matters worse, the owner is now in critical condition.

Louis Dickinson was taken to the hospital after suffering a stroke. His family has been at the hospital all night and neighbors are standing by to help.

Dickinson has lived here his entire life. He and his wife, Lois, have lived in their home more than 30-years, raising their family and making memories.

But, life was turned upside-down after fire tore through nearly half their home.

“All the memories have gone up in smoke. It’s all sad. The community, I’m sure will do whatever possible. They’ll probably raise some money and, if they do build a new home, I’m sure everybody here will help.”

The community is doing just that. Neighbors are helping salvage furniture and a GoFundMe page has been created to help pay for medical bills. So far, more than $1,000 has been raised.

The family says, what they’re really asking for are prayers Louis will recover.

The cause hasn’t been determined. The state fire marshal took over the case and is investigating. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.