U of I Student Chef Sami Blumenthal shares a fresh alternative for fried rice.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Yield 4 servings, Serving Size 1 1/3 cup
1 medium head cauliflower, rinsed
2 egg whites
1 large egg
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced fine
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup chopped carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
3 tbsp soy sauce (or more to taste)
seasoning to taste
1. Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely
2. Coarsely chop into florets, then place in a food processor and pulse until cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice. *Don’t over process or it will get mushy!* (May need to add florets a few in at a time. If there is not a food processor available, chop cauliflower into fine pieces).
3. Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Add desired seasonings.
4. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and spray with oil.
5. Add eggs and cook, turning a few times until they are set. Set eggs aside.
6. Add olive oil and saute onions, scallion whites, peas, carrots, and garlic for 3-4 minutes (or until soft). Raise the heat to medium-high
7. Add the cauliflower “rice” and soy sauce into the saute pan. Mix, cover and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
8. Add egg and remove from heat. Mix in the scallion greens or sprinkle for garnish.
Tip: Try adding in chopped grilled chicken breast for extra protein!