Champaign, Ill. (WCIA)
Harvest Market‘s, Emily DuPuis, is back with a great heart healthy recipe in honor of Heart Health Month!
Sweets have a place in a heart healthy diet and here’s a delicious and easy scone recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Cranberry almond orange scones
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup reduced fat milk or buttermilk
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large egg
- 2 heaping tablespoons orange zest
For a glaze if desired: 1 tbsp milk, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp orange zest- combine and drizzle over cooled scones.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper –or- foil and cooking spray.
- Whisk 1½ cups all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, fork or your fingertips, cut or rub butter into the dry ingredients until the size of peas.
- Stir in orange zest, cranberries and almonds.
- Whisk milk (or buttermilk) and egg in a medium bowl; stir into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Sprinkle a work surface with 1 tablespoon flour. Turn the dough out and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Knead three to five times, or until the dough just comes together. Form the dough into a large circle and cut into 6-8 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the scones until firm to the touch, 18 to 24 minutes.
*To make buttermilk, measure out milk in a liquid measuring cup and add 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir together and let sit until milk looks a bit curdled.