Matt and Heather talk to Brenda Hearn from Carriage Crossing about winter weather tips to stay safe this season.
Slips and falls are one of the highest risks during the winter months:
- Tracking in snow and ice can cause slips and falls. Seniors can inadvertently track snow and ice into the house and businesses. Be sure to have slip-resistant doormats or rugs throughout to catch the excess snows and ice that melts.
- Also, be sure to have extra salt on hand so that it prevents ice from forming!
In the area, there are a plethora of indoor activities that are geared for seniors, so hibernation is not an option:
- One example is the Green Mill Village Holiday Walk that will take place at our Carriage Crossing Senior Living Arcola location on Dec. 16th from 8am to noon.
- This is the 4th annual event which includes pancakes with Santa, make & take crafts, cookie decorating, and our Festival of Trees auction.
- Area businesses have donated beautifully decorated trees and wreaths that are up for auction! You can bid on these until noon on Dec. 16th.
- 100% of the proceeds goes towards the charity of the donor’s choice
- In the past, St. Jude’s, Champaign Co. Relay for Life, Local food pantries, Santa Fund, etc.
- Located at 909 Green Mill Rd. Arcola, 61910
- Donations are still being accepted! Call the Arcola community
Bundle up! Because of lower metabolic rates, poor circulation and other factors, seniors are particularly susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia.
- Helpful tips would include wearing layers and ensuring that your loved one has hats, mittens, gloves and scarves
- This is a subject near and dear to our Champaign resident’s hearts and they have teamed up with the employees to host a Mitten and Hat drive that is currently underway!
- Donations have poured in from the area and all the hats, gloves and mittens will be taken to Crisis Nursery.
- It’s a way our seniors give back to children in need and are making a difference in our community.
- Like to donate cold weather gear, drop off until the 15th at the Champaign community located at 1701 Congressional Way, Champaign, 61822
For more information, please visit their website at https://www.carriagecrossingsl.com/.