Emily Dupuis, Registered Dietitian with Harvest Market, is back showing us how to prepare a creamy roasted carrot & parsnip soup.
January is National Soup Month- this is a super easy and delicious creamy soup that just happens to be good for you!
Roasted Carrot & Parsnip Soup
• 8-10 large carrots, sliced
• 4 medium parsnips, sliced
• 1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
• 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled
• ½ cup dry white wine ( or 1/2 cup veggie stock with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar)
• olive oil/salt/pepper to taste
• 6-8 cups good chicken or vegetable stock
1. Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place carrots, parsnips, onions and garlic on prepared baking sheet. Toss with ~ 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with pinch of salt/cavevnders and pepper each. Roast in oven for 40-45 minutes, until softened and browned.
2. Heat a large pot over medium high. Add roasted veggies to pot. Make sure the pan is nice and hot, then add the white wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Reduce the white wine down for about 2-4 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours on low. Once stock has reduced, use an immersion blender, blender or food processor to puree the soup until smooth.