U of I Student Chef Greg Chavez is sharing an authentic guacamole recipe.
You will enjoy this dish at his Spice Box Dinner Wednesday, March 16th.
Yields: 2 portions
· 2 ripe Hass avocados
· 2 tsp lime juice
· 1/4 tsp kosher salt
· 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
· 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
· 1/2 jalapeño, including seeds (finely chopped)
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Choose the right avocado. It should feel squishy yet firm (like the palm of your hand), and be a nice dark green color on the outside. The Hass avocado is the most popular type.
2. Carefully! cut the avocado in half and then remove the pit. Seed should come right off.
3. Scoop out the avocados and place in a medium bowl.
4. Toss and coat with lime juice and salt .
5. Using a fork, mash until a smooth consistency is achieved.
6. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. Taste the guacamole and adjust seasoning if necessary.