Champaign, Ill. (WCIA)
African American Culture is the theme of Tania Black’s upcoming Spice Box Dinner. Tania’s meal is on Friday, February, 28 and the menu is inspired by US African American history.
Brown’s Buttery Cornbread Biscuits
Recipe Yield: 22 biscuit
Serving Size: 2 biscuits
1.5 cups flour, divided
3/4 cup cornmeal
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1.5 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
6 Tbsp. COLD unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup milk
- Combine 1.25 cups of flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, thyme, and rosemary in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture, just quickly rubbing the butter into the flour with a fork or your hands, until the mixture is coarse and resembles cornmeal.
- Stir milk into mixture. Turn dough out onto a floured cutting board and knead the rest of the flour (1/4 cup) into the dough until it is no longer sticky. You may need to use a bit more flour if the dough is especially sticky.
- Pat the dough out to about 1/2-inch thickness and cut into 2-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Lightly grease a sheet tray and arrange cut biscuits in a single layer. Give them a little breathing room, because they’ll rise quite a bit in the oven.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-16 minutes until biscuits are lightly browned. Serve with honey butter.
Recipe Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 2 oz
¾ cup butter
¼ cup honey
- In a small bowl mix butter and honey until smooth.
- Place in 2 oz metal cups and store in walk in fridge
Friday, February 28th
Half Hour Time Slots:
5, 5:30, 6, 6:30, 7:00, And 7:30 P.M